IVP - Andy Unedited - The Nominees for 2012

January 4, 2012

The Nominees for 2012

The nominees are in for 2012. No, I'm not talking about Iowa. I'm talking about nominees for the 2012 Andys, of course. The list of books I read last year seems to have a pretty good variety to me. (What's your opinion?) But certain trends may be discernible. Below you'll find:

• five books at least fifty years old
  • a number of fiction and nonfiction bestsellers
  • some new fiction
  • a couple of history selections
  • several IVP titles (not ones I read prior to publication but after) and a few from other Christian authors
  • two "professional improvement" titles

Here are the books I've read and listened to, listed in the order I completed them. (Seeing the movie version didn't count.)

Beatrice & Virgil, Yann Martel hannah coulter.jpeg
Unbroken, Lauren Hillenbrand
Made to Stick, Dan Heath & Chip Heath
Born Standing Up, Steve Martin
The Prodigal God, Timothy Keller
Our Kind of Traitor, John le Carré
Freakonomics, Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner

The next post will feature the much-anticipated awards.

Posted by Andy Le Peau at January 4, 2012 8:49 AM Bookmark and Share

Comments

Andy, that is an awesome list of books! YOU must be an awesome man! How would I ever know????

Comment by: Phyllis LePeau at January 4, 2012 9:11 AM

Looking forward to your awards. Speaking of the wise book "Made to Stick," I humbly challenge you to school us in Simplicity -- write twelve-word summaries for a handful of your favorite award-winners. :-)

Comment by: Adam Forrest (Zondervan employee) at January 4, 2012 9:53 AM

Adam

Twelve-word summaries! Quite a challenge. Twitter worthy. (That's eight so far--oops, twelve. Now fourteen. Phooey!)

Andy

Comment by: Andy Le Peau at January 4, 2012 9:57 AM

Andy, you just had a good idea for a Tweet series about your post. Niiiice...

Comment by: Adam Forrest (Zondervan employee) at January 4, 2012 9:58 AM

Hmmm, I'm not seeing "God in a Brothel" there. Now is that "Andy behaving badly" or "the prodigal Andy"? :-) One mustn't read just a quarter of the sky--that would be freakonomical. Jesus (in) the Temple might turn out to be Jesus (in) the brothel too--the omnireader's dilemma! :)

Comment by: Tabitha Plueddemann at January 4, 2012 10:12 AM

I came here to vote for (and now, second the motion to) include (brief) summaries of your winners.

Comment by: Jadell at January 4, 2012 2:02 PM

Jadell,

The people have spoken. 'Twill be done!

Andy

Comment by: Andy Le Peau at January 4, 2012 2:54 PM

I realized this morning that we didn't discuss your list of books over vacation. I look forward to your Andys-it helps me start my list for the coming year!

Comment by: Christe at January 4, 2012 10:04 PM